Frequently Asked Question

How do I know if I qualify for Weatherization?

Our eligibility guidelines can be found here if you are unsure about whether or not you qualify. 

Do you replace windows and doors as part of your weatherization services?

Generally we do not. We have found over time that replacing windows and doors is not a cost effective way to make your home more energy efficient. We focus more on air sealing, insulating and making sure your heating system is functioning properly.

How much money can I expect to save on energy bills once you have weatherized my home?

We typically see reductions in energy usage anywhere from 10-25% but in some cases this can go even higher depending on the type of home and its condition before we start.

Once I have successfully applied and qualified for the program, how long does it take for my home to be weatherized?

This answer can vary. We prioritize projects based on a point ranking system set up by the State of Vermont. The higher your rank, the more quickly we will be able to serve you. The ranking system provides extra points for factors like whether you are on fuel assistance, have children, or are elderly or disabled. Very broadly speaking, applicants with very high rankings can expect to start the weatherization process within about 6-8 months, while those with low rankings can take up 18 months or longer.

How long does it take to weatherize my home?

Once the weatherization process begins, there are 4 phases. First, our energy efficiency coach will assess your electrical usage, then an energy auditor does a complete home performance analysis of your home and creates a work scope. Then our production staff will come and conduct the actual energy efficiency retrofit work followed by an inspection by our Quality Control Inspector. This entire process from start to finish takes several months or longer.

Can you do repairs on my home?

The only repairs we are able to do are those that are essential to our ability to weatherize your home like repairing a leaky roof or removing old knob and tube wiring. Repairs that are not directly related to weatherization like replacing old siding, repairing stairs, replacing rotted trim or repairing structural damage, we are not able to do.

Can I pick and choose which services I want and don't want?

No. Our contract with the State of Vermont stipulates that we apply the full range of our services to every home to ensure that our funds are being used in the most cost effective manner and achieve the greatest benefit.

If I rent my home, can I still get it weatherized?

Yes. Part of the application process for those who rent includes receiving permission from the property owner. For the application, click here.

Does Weatherization do emergency repairs?

No, we are not an emergency service. However, if your heating system fails you can contact your local Community Action Office.

Community Action

We provide housing assistance (back rent, security deposits), and assistance with heating (fuel assistance) and utility bills.

Contact one of our offices for help.

Addison county

  • 54 Creek Road, Suite A - Middlebury, VT 05753
  • Phone: 802-388-2285
  • Hours: 8 am to 4 pm, Mon – Fri, except holidays
  • Also provides food assistance

Chittenden county

  • 255 South Champlain Street - Burlington, VT 05402
  • Phone: 802-863-6248
  • Hours: 8:30 am to 4 pm, Mon – Fri, except holidays

Franklin/Grand Isle counties

  • 5 Lemnah Drive, Suite 5 - St. Albans,VT 05478
  • Phone: 802-527-7392
  • Hours: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Mon – Fri, except holidays
  • Also provides food assistance via Northwest Family Foods