What we do
Our Community Action program offers free preparation services to low-to-moderate income Vermonters. We offer help with income tax returns through VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance), as well as help with rent rebates and homestead property declarations.
- Are you eligible for these services? Review the eligibility guidelines.
- For details on child tax credits, read this flyer (PDF).
2021 Tax Preparation Assistance for Chittenden county
To schedule an appointment, call 2-1-1 (as soon as January 18). Appointments are available between Feb. 1 and Apr. 15 during the following times:
- Mon & Wed: 9am-4pm
- Tues & Th: 9am-8pm
- Sat: 10am-3pm
Because of the pandemic and to make social distancing possible, we'll provide our services from University Mall in South Burlington (next to Shoe Department Encore).
- How to be ready for your appointment? Review this document.
- For information on how to volunteer in Chittenden county, contact Mike McClintock at email@example.com or 802-863-6248.
Franklin/Grand Isle Vita Tax Program
Please have all forms ready before you call to make an appointment.
To schedule an appointment, please call Rebecca Moyer at 802-527-7392 ext 107. Appointments are available Monday through Friday, from 9:00AM-3:30PM.
Because of the pandemic, FGICA will be doing drop off services at 5 Lemnah Drive, Suite #5, St. Albans, VT. Clients can enter the building (with a mask) to drop off forms and pick up finished taxes.
- If necessary, Rebecca is able to complete Homestead Declarations and Renter's Credit entirely over the phone.
- State and Federal returns are able to be done over the phone. You may schedule a time to drop off forms and sign consent papers.
- Rebecca will call when taxes are complete and will schedule a time to be picked up and signed.
If you only need to file a Renter Credit or Homestead Property Declaration, you may be able to file online here. If you are interested in waiting to file these forms and have Travis Poulin assist you, call for an appointment: 863-6248 ext. 736.
What to bring for renter rebate:
- Signed Landlord Certificate(s), income verification documents, Social security card and photo id.
- Renter Credit basic information
- Homestead Declaration basic information tax.vermont.gov/property-owners/homestead-declaration
- If you want to check on the status of your Vermont state tax refund, click here.
Community Action runs an extraordinarily successful VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program, working closely with the IRS, United Way, AARP, Age Well, Champlain College, St. Michael’s College, UVM, local translators and the VT State Tax Department. VITA is a federally funded program that offers free tax help for low-to-moderate income taxpayers, elderly taxpayers and military personnel and their families.
Students from Champlain College, UVM, and St. Michael’s College are granted college credits for participation in the program. Last year, more than $2.1 million in federal and state refunds and credits was returned to the Vermont community as a result of volunteer tax preparers working with individuals and families at Chittenden, Addison and Franklin/Grand Isle Community Action.
For information on how to volunteer in Chittenden county, contact Mike McClintock at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-863-6248.
CVOEO would like to particularly thank CEDO for their ongoing support of our tax preparation services for Burlington residents.
- To schedule an appointment in Chittenden county: call 2-1-1
- To schedule an appointment in Franklin/Grand Isle county: call Rebecca Moyer at 802-527-7392 ext 107