Vermont Tenants services are provided by the Housing Advocacy team and available to renters anywhere in Vermont.
- Contact the Hotline with questions about your rights and responsibilities, habitability issues, and other concerns. Our skilled advocates provide consultations, referrals, and navigation services. (802) 864-0099 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take a Workshop to learn more about tenant rights and responsibilities, leases, security deposits, repairs, health code violations, terminations, evictions, fair housing and disability law, and tools and tips for finding housing, getting ready to rent, and sustaining the rent.
- Find more Information in the resources below about residential rental housing laws, codes and code enforcement, and tenants rights and responsibilities. Select "Information for Renters" for detailed information by topic and sample letters.
Vermont landlords and tenants, read The Definitive Guide to Renting in Vermont, produced in partnership with the Vermont Apartment Home Owners Association and the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development.
Tenants, learn about your rights in a fun way with the Illustrated Guide to Vermont Renter's Rights:
Our schedule of all upcoming classes (including Tenant Skills) can now be found on our Renter's Workshop page. Click here Renter's Workshops and scroll down to view available classes.
Please call 802-660-3455 x 205 with any questions or help registering for a class. We look forward to seeing you in class soon!
All classes are free and open to the community.
PLEASE NOTE: Although classes in person are suspended to protect everyone's health, we are offering webinar classes. To attend a webinar with a video connection you will need a computer, tablet or smartphone and an internet connection. You will be able to see the instructor's visual presentation and engage in dialogue with class participants. There will also be a dial-in option for those with phone access only.
Other CVOEO services
- Rent Right Program
- Mobile Home Program
- Fair Housing Project
- Vermont Tenants Informational Videos
- Burlington Renter Resources (PDF)
CODES AND STATUTES
- VT Landlord Tenant Statutes: link to the state statutes online.
- VT Rental Housing Health Code (PDF): relevant state statutes.
- Vermont Rental Housing Code: a website with relevant laws and codes organized by topic.
- Lead in Rental Housing
- See if your town has its own rental housing codes
- List of VT Town Health Offices: look here for a list of Town Health Officers who can perform inspections and check for violations of the housing health code.
- Law Line of Vermont: provides free legal consultation, advice, and community education for low income Vermonters.
- Vermont Law Help: online civil law resource center operated by Vermont Legal Aid.
- Directory of Affordable Rental Housing: updated regularly, statewide.
- The Survivor's Guide to Burlington: a list of resources for homeless and low-income people in Burlington compiled by COTS (2020).
- AALV: case managers assist and connect new Americans in a wide variety of areas, including housing.
Check out our YouTube channel for Vermont Tenants Videos
Check out our Information for renters page to find common information that all renters should know!
- Hotline: (802) 864-0099
Select 1 for structural damage, fire, flood, no heat or no water; select 2 for other questions
Check out the Information for renters page to find important information that all renters should know!