Financial Assistance and Housing Navigation

Travis helping client

These services are provided by our Community Action team.

We work with individuals and families who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness, however, we do not provide emergency housing assistance.  

If you are in need of emergency shelter, please contact your local Economic Services Department (ESD).  The phone number for the Statewide ESD call center is 1-800-479-6151; or, you can call 2-1-1 after hours or on the weekends.

Financial Assistance

Community Action works with a State and Federally funded grant called the Housing Opportunity Program Grant (HOP) and privately donated funding, as available, to help individuals and families who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness, per Federal definition.  

Financial assistance may take the form of back rent; first months rent; security deposits; or short term rental subsidies.  Applications for financial assistance are assessed by a multi-agency collaborative partnership on a weekly basis to review grant funding and applicant eligibility guidelines.

Housing Navigation

Housing Navigation, also referred to as Case Management, provides supportive services to individuals and families who are experiencing literal, federally defined homelessness.  Services may include advocacy, guidance, referrals to other supportive services and programs and forms assistance.

Please note that Housing Case Managers are not able to search for housing on behalf of the people with whom they work.

Contact us

  • Chittenden County: (802) 863-6248 ext. 4
  • Addison County: (802) 388-2285
  • Franklin and Grand Isle Counties: (802) 527-7392

Need emergency housing?

  • Statewide Economic Services Department: 1-800-479-6151
  • After hours/weekends: Call 2-1-1 

HOME Family Housing Voucher Program

Vermont's Office of Economic Opportunity and CVOEO are providing a new rapid re-housing voucher to families experiencing homelessness.

Learn more