Vermont Tenants, Inc.
Lead Paint Hazards
Lead paint is the number one cause of lead poisoning in children. In 1978, lead in new house paint was banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Homes built before that time, however, may contain lead paint.
Young children can be exposed to lead by eating, chewing, or sucking on lead-painted objects such as window sills, toys, or furniture. Also, over time, painted surfaces crumble into household dust. This dust clings to toys, fingers, and other objects that children normally put in their mouths.
Lead poisoning can cause serious health problems, especially for infants, young children, and pregnant women. Children who have lead poisoning don't necessarily look or act sick. But too much lead in the human body can cause damage to the brain, kidneys, nervous system, and red blood cells.
The Department of Health recommends that all children be tested for lead at ages one and two. Go to your primary care provider to talk about testing and have the tests performed . More frequent testing may be necessary if your child lives in an older home or there are other risk factors in the child's life.
[To make a complaint about unsafe residential painting practices call: 1-800-439-8550 (Vermont Department of Health) ]
Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity